JACKSON, Ala. (WKRG) – UPDATE (4:13 p.m.): Crews battling the Jackson Landfill fire say the fire is 100 percent contained. Flames are still smoldering at the surface. Fire crews left at 11 p.m. last night and continued their efforts this morning.
Crews continue to monitor Jackson Landfill Friday morning as smoke still rises from the area where thousands of tires fueled a massive fire Thursday afternoon.
New photos and video sent to WKRG News 5 on Friday morning show the scene.
Large clouds of black smoke filled the air Thursday afternoon. The fire raged through the evening hours as volunteer firefighters from multiple departments worked to contain the blaze.
No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
- President Trump expected to announce Supreme Court Justice pick Saturday
- Mnuchin and Powell urge support for unemployment relief and small business loans
- 2-alarm Fire fire at Yester Oaks apartments in Mobile
- How people feel about Baldwin’s beaches staying closed
- NewsNation/Emerson poll: Biden has slight lead over President Trump