MONROE COUNTY, Ind. (WXIN) – Police say a 4-year-old Indiana boy died Thursday after an apparent accidental shooting earlier this week.
The incident occurred on Jan. 19 in the 1200 block of East Zinnia Drive in Bloomington. A preliminary investigation by detectives found that a 36-year-old man with a concealed handgun on the small of his back was play-wrestling on a bed with his 4-year-old son.
While the two were playing, the gun fell and a shot was fired, striking both the father and the 4-year-old in the head, according to police.
The child was critically injured and taken to IU Health Bloomington Hospital before being flown to Riley Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis. He was identified as Tripp Shaw.
The father was expected to recover from his injuries, police said.
The case remains under investigation and no charges have been filed.
- Gov. Desantis tours Pensacola and talks gas shortage, power restoration and Three Mile Bridge damage
- Satsuma residents compare damage on Bayou Avenue to Hurricane Katrina
- Lots of cleanup as floodwaters begin to recede along Styx, Fish rivers
- Sen. Broxson: Repairs to Three Mile Bridge could take up to 60 days
- Food distribution sites in Pensacola area