BEIRUT (AP) – Rescue teams are searching the rubble of Beirut’s port for bodies nearly three days after a massive explosion sent a wave of destruction through Lebanon’s capital, killing nearly 150 people and wounding thousands. At least three more bodies have been recovered in the last 24 hours, bringing the death toll to 149 on Friday. The blast shredded a large grain silo, devastated neighborhoods near the port and left several city blocks littered with glass and rubble. The blast was apparently caused by the ignition of 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate that had been stored at the port since 2013. The government has launched an investigation, as many Lebanese blame the catastrophe on negligence and corruption.
- Protesters leave casket full of dirt, cow manure at North Carolina police station
- Run the GO Run and help raise money for local GYN cancer research
- Behind the scenes with Baldwin County EMA as Hurricane Sally recovery efforts continue
- Kentucky governor calls for release of Breonna Taylor evidence
- Woman says cemetery owners refuse to remove tree, told her to drive over graves