HERRIMAN CITY, Utah (CNN) — A police dog that was killed in action in Utah is being buried in a custom coffin.
Hondo, a 7-year-old Belgian Malinois, served with Herriman City’s police department and helped with more than 100 felony arrests.
On Feb. 13, Hondo suffered a fatal gunshot wound as he helped apprehend a suspect in Salt Lake City.
The department asked a company called Rawtin Garage to paint his casket.
It features an image of Hondo and symbols of his service.
HPD Chief Troy Carr said Hondo died so his handler could live.
A public service for Hondo will take place on Feb. 29.
- Tropical Depression 28 strengthens into Tropical Storm Zeta
- “Everything was on fire,” witnesses describe moments after Foley plane crash
- Kids enjoy COVID-safe Halloween at Bellingrath Home and Gardens
- Charity event raises funds for project to help the homeless
- Saban says Alabama’s Jaylen Waddle likely needs surgery