ORANGE BEACH, Ala. (WKRG) – UPDATE (4:32 p.m. 7/31/20): Orange Beach Police have released the following details on the possible shark bite:
On July 31st at approximately 1:19 p.m. a call came into Orange Beach Dispatch of a possible shark bite. The victim was a 15-year-old male swimming with his father. His injuries consist of a mild abrasion and a few small puncture wounds. The father stated that he noticed that there were a large quantity of small fish swimming around them and as they went to leave his son felt pain. The father nor the son ever saw a shark or any large fish near them when this happened. The victim was taken to the hospital by his family.
Orange Beach Police confirm a shark bit a 14-year-old in the Gulf of Mexico Friday afternoon.
It happened around 1 p.m. near the Phoenix 4 condominiums in Orange Beach. Police say the 14-year-old was old near a sand bar when it happened.
Injuries appear to be minor and non life-threatening.
Note: A previous version of this story said the person bitten was 15 years old.
- Local high schools gearing up for unprecedented season
- Baldwin parents, teachers prepare for whatever new school year brings
- More than 100 students are under quarantine in North Mississippi following the first day of school
- Investigation into massive Beirut blast continues
- Students return to the classroom at Saraland City Schools