SPANISH FORT, Ala. (WKRG) – The Spanish Fort Post Office is once again in limbo. We first reported last year the owner of this contract location was retiring, meaning the post office would no longer be operating as it had been for many years.
Hazel Farmer, who served as postmaster for the location for 40-plus years, retired in 2019. The new owner, Gregory Saad, owns and manages the shopping center where the post office is located.
However, as of Monday afternoon a USPS representative confirms a new owner is being sought.
WKRG News 5 was told the location will no longer have post office box service.
On Tuesday, post office box customers at this location will receive a letter offering options to continue P.O. Box service at the Daphne Post Office or to their street address.
The current contract in Spanish Fort expires on Jan 15. We’re told when a new owner is found the post office will still stop offering P.O. Boxes at this particular location going forward.
The Spanish Fort Post Office is a contract location. This means it isn’t operated by the United States Postal Service like many others are in Baldwin County.
- Border Patrol agents ready to rescue migrants stranded in the snow and other harsh elements
- Former Super Bowl Champs settle Saints Jameis vs. Taysom debate
- Pregnant women should not take Moderna vaccine, WHO advises
- Winner of ‘Worst Cooks in America’ arrested in death of adopted 3-year-old daughter
- MPD: Traffic stop turns deadly after man armed with knife runs from police