JACKSON, Miss. (AP) – State archives and history officials are considering the University of Mississippi’s proposal to move a Confederate soldier monument from a central spot on the Oxford campus to a Confederate cemetery. The cemetery is still on campus but is in a less prominent location. The move would need to be approved by a board that governs Mississippi’s eight public universities. The monument is one of many put up across the South more than a century ago. Critics say its display near the University of Mississippi’s main administrative building sends a signal that the school glorifies the Confederacy and glosses over the South’s history of slavery.
- Suspect caught on camera trying to break into cars near Mullet Point
- House Democrats, White House lay out arguments before trial
- Washington County woman killed in single-vehicle crash
- Police: 14-year-old girl uses Snapchat to escape her kidnappers
- 50-yard-line mass baptism prompts complaint in Alabama town