JACKSON, Miss. (AP) – State archives and history officials are considering the University of Mississippi’s proposal to move a Confederate soldier monument from a central spot on the Oxford campus to a Confederate cemetery. The cemetery is still on campus but is in a less prominent location. The move would need to be approved by a board that governs Mississippi’s eight public universities. The monument is one of many put up across the South more than a century ago. Critics say its display near the University of Mississippi’s main administrative building sends a signal that the school glorifies the Confederacy and glosses over the South’s history of slavery.
- Caught on video: Half-naked man punches 72-year-old Walmart employee
- Updated NOAA Forecast Calling for an “Extremely Active” Season
- 9-year-old Florida boy saves dad who fractured neck in diving accident
- Newsfeed Now: Justice during a pandemic; beer movement goes national
- Los Angeles mayor OKs shutting off water, power to combat house parties and other gatherings