FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) — An 8-year-old Florida boy achieved his dream of making a snowman in Alaska.
Matthew Santiago, a cancer survivor, visited the Fairbanks Ice Art Park towards the end of February with help from the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Matthew battled Stage 4 high-risk neuroblastoma, a cancer that develops from immature nerve cells. After chemotherapy, multiple surgeries, stem cell transplants, radiation treatment and months of immunotherapy, Matthew is diagnosed with no evidence of the disease.
Park officials offered Matthew more than a tour. They let him ride a telescopic forklift to help harvest a thick block of ice for ice sculpting.
- Colony of wild monkeys living among human population in South Florida city
- Spooky show carries on at Pennsylvania home’s annual Halloween lights show
- Villagers re-elect mayor despite his death from COVID-19
- National Coffee Day: Freebies and deals from Dunkin, Krispy Kreme, Starbucks and more
- Candy factory giveaway: Willy Wonka-like ‘golden ticket’ search begins this week