(CNN) – The US will have a three-digit suicide hotline within two years.
The Federal Communications Commission is authorizing 988 to reach the National Suicide Prevention Hotline.
Right now, callers have to dial a 10-digit number.
At least one FCC commissioner laments that the new hotline won’t allow for texting.
Suicide is a growing public health concern as Americans grapple with the pandemic, the economy and civil unrest.
- Lovely Today; Tropical Storm Zeta Impacts Mid-Week
- BREAKING: Early morning shooting reported in Prichard
- Expert: France has “lost control” of the virus
- Baldwin County Landmark District supporters hold meeting Monday
- 2 juvenile girls in stolen truck lead troopers on chase ending near Argo