BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) – The largest Episcopal church in Birmingham, Alabama, says none of its pastors are texting people and asking for gift cards.
Al.com reports the Cathedral Church of the Advent announced Wednesday that it had learned of requests purporting to be from the Rev. Dean Andrew C. Pearson Jr. It posted on its website that the church’s clergy or staff wouldn’t “suddenly and unexpectedly” reach out for gift cards.
It asked recipients to send details to the staff of the church, which boasts a congregation of about 3,600 people.
The church requests readers pray the person or people behind the texts experience that same “transformation we read of in Zacchaeus’s story in Luke 19.” It’s a reference to the tale of a tax collector who swears to repay anyone he’s cheated.
- Subtropical Storm Alpha Forms Near Portugal
- “IN ATTIC HELP!” Cantonment couple rescued after scrawling message for help on the front door
- Pensacola International Airport to Reopen at Noon Friday
- Woman told officer ‘ I have to poop so bad’ before high-speed chase
- Dauphin Island Mayor: Red Cross providing free lunches Friday