UPDATE (11:35 a.m.) – Alabama Governor Kay Ivey will hold a 2 p.m. news conference Thursday to give a COVID-19 update.
News 5 plans to carry the news conference LIVE on TV and at WKRG.com.
MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — WKRG will be watching for news on changes to the “Safer at Home Order” and a possible announcement Thursday. Governor Kay Ivey is expected to make an announcement about the next phase of business reopenings ahead of the expiration of the latest “Safer at Home Order” on Friday.
An amended order issued last week kept movie theaters, casinos and entertainment venues closed, while allowing restaurant dining rooms, gyms and salons to reopen. The order is set to expire at 5 p.m. on May 22.
Recreational sports leagues in Alabama have also been forced to halt play for more than two months amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the order, which took effect May 11, a determination to either extend the order or relax the order will be made prior to 5 p.m. Friday.
- North Mobile County License Commission, Revenue Commission offices to be closed due to power outages
- US economy notches record growth in third quarter but recovery incomplete
- Trump meets with rap star Lil Wayne in Florida
- Netflix raises subscription prices
- No substantial erosion reported yet at Baldwin beaches following Hurricane Zeta