MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama State Senator David Burkett has officially resigned, according to Gov. Kay Ivey’s Office.
Burkett turned in a resignation letter Tuesday saying it was “effective immediately.”
Gov. Ivey’s Office released a statement on the senator’s decision:
“Governor Ivey is disappointed, but firmly supports the rule of law, and particularly in this situation when there has been a clear misuse of public trust.”Press Secretary Gina Maiola
Burkett has represented District 26 of the Alabama Senate since 2018. Why he decided to resign has not been announced.
No other information has been released at this time.
- How to keep your Christmas tree alive a little longer, according to a farmer
- Best post-Black Friday deals in case you missed out
- Republicans struggle to save funding for Trump’s border wall
- Local business offering free car washes to benefit toy drive in Lucedale
- Man killed by stray bullet while eating Thanksgiving dinner inside his home