MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama State Senator David Burkett has officially resigned, according to Gov. Kay Ivey’s Office.
Burkett turned in a resignation letter Tuesday saying it was “effective immediately.”
Gov. Ivey’s Office released a statement on the senator’s decision:
“Governor Ivey is disappointed, but firmly supports the rule of law, and particularly in this situation when there has been a clear misuse of public trust.”Press Secretary Gina Maiola
Burkett has represented District 26 of the Alabama Senate since 2018. Why he decided to resign has not been announced.
No other information has been released at this time.
- Trooper-shooting suspect killed in NY shootout with US marshals
- Texas high school football player attacks referee
- Biden says Trump should attend inauguration to demonstrate commitment to peaceful transfer of power
- 12-year-old boy accepted to Georgia Tech; hopes to become aerospace engineer
- Americans couldn’t resist Thanksgiving travel, data shows