BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) – Investigators have determined that a fire which killed eight people at an Alabama marina earlier this year was an accident. Scottsboro Fire Chief Gene Necklaus said in an email Wednesday that the blaze originated on one boat at Jackson County Park Marina. He says it was an accident, but state investigators couldn’t determine an exact cause.
The state fire marshal’s office investigated the fire but has yet to respond to a request for a full report. Fire erupted on a dock early on Jan. 27, and eight people died as wind blew the flames from one vessel to another. Five children were among the dead.
- Get Prepared for the Season with the 2020 News 5 Hurricane Resource Guide
- Fire officials in Mobile on scene of possible on Esplanade Ave.
- VIDEO: Massive police presence on Airport at I-65
- Shots fired near Walmart and Lowe’s on Beltline in Mobile
- Second day of protests turn violent in Las Vegas, police arrest 103 people, 11 officers injured