JACKSON, Miss. (WKRG) — A commission has narrowed down 3,000 new flag designs for the Mississippi state flag to 147 designs. The commission will choose the final five designs by Friday, August 14, 2020.
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History posted the remaining designs online Monday, you can see them here.
Many of the remaining designs have the state’s flower, the magnolia on it. One design has a mosquito on it. Some that have been eliminated included images with beer cans, crawfish, Elvis, and even Kermit the Frog.
The new design must not include the emblem of the Confederate battle emblem which was on the old flag that was retired on June 30, 2020. The statement of “In God we Trust” must also be included in the new flag design.
- Rocket engine test set for Saturday at Stennis Space Center
- Mass vaccination at Mobile Cruise Terminal still open for 75+ and first responders
- Biden introduces key members of science team, including pioneering geneticist Eric Lander
- Brewton PD looking for suspect in theft from a vehicle
- Mobile County Health Department hosting vaccine event at historic church on MLK Day