COLBERT COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – The U.S. Geological Survey recorded a small earthquake Thursday night along the Tennessee River in northwestern Colbert County.
The USGS recorded a 2.3 magnitude quake around 9 p.m. Thursday in the Ford City area, close to McKiernan Creek and River Road. It was a little more than 7 miles below the surface.
Data shows the earthquake was the first recorded in Alabama for 2020. The previous one was a 2.0 quake in Winfield on Dec. 15. The last earthquake registered in northwest Alabama before Thursday’s was a 1.7 magnitude quake near Underwood-Petersville on Dec. 6.
- Coronasomnia: What is it and how to combat it
- Coronavirus deaths rising in 30 US states amid winter surge
- The TEP Center: An Integrated School, turned into a Community Center
- Garth Brooks set to perform at Biden inauguration, says it’s ‘not a political statement’
- MLK March in Loxley spreads message of love and unity