COLBERT COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – The U.S. Geological Survey recorded a small earthquake Thursday night along the Tennessee River in northwestern Colbert County.
The USGS recorded a 2.3 magnitude quake around 9 p.m. Thursday in the Ford City area, close to McKiernan Creek and River Road. It was a little more than 7 miles below the surface.
Data shows the earthquake was the first recorded in Alabama for 2020. The previous one was a 2.0 quake in Winfield on Dec. 15. The last earthquake registered in northwest Alabama before Thursday’s was a 1.7 magnitude quake near Underwood-Petersville on Dec. 6.
- Two tropical waves could develop in the Caribbean this weekend and early next week
- Pettaway scores 5 to earn Zaxby’s Player of Week
- SCOTUS nominee meets with more GOP lawmakers on Capitol Hill as Democrats decline meetings
- TONIGHT: The 100 Series Finale Watch and Win Giveaway
- GCCW Super Fan Kat Caraway’s Cosplay Room Tour