COLBERT COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – The U.S. Geological Survey recorded a small earthquake Thursday night along the Tennessee River in northwestern Colbert County.
The USGS recorded a 2.3 magnitude quake around 9 p.m. Thursday in the Ford City area, close to McKiernan Creek and River Road. It was a little more than 7 miles below the surface.
Data shows the earthquake was the first recorded in Alabama for 2020. The previous one was a 2.0 quake in Winfield on Dec. 15. The last earthquake registered in northwest Alabama before Thursday’s was a 1.7 magnitude quake near Underwood-Petersville on Dec. 6.
- Chilly mornings ahead for this Mardi Gras Weekend
- Order of Impalas rolls at St. Ignatius School
- How to be prepared for when an earthquake hits
- Colorado family billed $4,233 after daughter sent to hospital by school counselor
- Mom of bullied 9-year-old speaks out; son invited to lead rugby league team onto field