ATLANTIC BEACH, Fla. (WKRG) — An ordinance to ban balloon releases was introduced at the Atlantic Beach commission meeting Monday.
If passed, police could fine you $250 for each violation. The bill says the items are harmful to the environment and wildlife.
Action News Jax spoke to the founder of Beaches Go Green, who says they find balloons often during beach clean-ups.
“When you release balloons or lanterns they become litter,” Ann Marie Moquin, Beaches Go Green founder said.
The Atlantic Beach mayor says enforcement is a concern because they can’t watch out for violations 24-7.
- IP determines rope found at Cantonment Mill had no “racist conduct or intent”
- Faith Time: A congregation’s role in social reform
- Morning thunderstorms, unsettled trend
- Community calls for change after Galleria shooting claims life of 8-year-old boy
- Japan floods leave up to 34 dead, many at nursing homes