ATLANTIC BEACH, Fla. (WKRG) — An ordinance to ban balloon releases was introduced at the Atlantic Beach commission meeting Monday.
If passed, police could fine you $250 for each violation. The bill says the items are harmful to the environment and wildlife.
Action News Jax spoke to the founder of Beaches Go Green, who says they find balloons often during beach clean-ups.
“When you release balloons or lanterns they become litter,” Ann Marie Moquin, Beaches Go Green founder said.
The Atlantic Beach mayor says enforcement is a concern because they can’t watch out for violations 24-7.
- Vigor HS Principal ‘Fed up’ with Prichard Stadium
- MCSO searching for missing 4-year-old girl in Mobile
- President Trump sets date to announce SCOTUS pick as GOP locks in votes needed to confirm nominee
- “42 years worth of furniture in the front yard,” families along Styx River experience debilitating flood damage
- Murphy Panthers collecting Sally Relief supplies at game Friday