JACKSON, Miss. (AP) – An inmate has been found dead in his one-man cell at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
The prison system says 26-year-old Joshua Norman was found hanging in his cell on Sunday morning.
Sunflower County Coroner Heather Burton says foul play is not suspected in the death.
At least 11 inmates have died in the state’s prisons since late December, most of them in outbursts of violence.
Norman was serving five years for armed robbery in Oktibbeha County.
Officials say an official cause and manner of death are pending autopsy results.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Spring Sport Shout Out: Tyler Bell
- Spotty showers possible tonight, Higher rain chances for Tuesday and Wednesday
- Accident at Government and Stocking streets in midtown Mobile
- Loved ones of missing swimmers ‘praying for a miracle’
- Mississippi authorities looking for vehicle involved in 20-mile road rage incident that left one man dead