BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — A boy who has made national news for his unique way of honoring fallen officers has now honored another fallen officer from Alabama.
On Sunday, Zechariah Cartledge of Orlando, Florida posted a video in memory of Lowndes County Sheriff John “Big John” Williams, who was shot and killed in the line of duty Saturday night. William Chase Johnson, 18, was subsequently arrested Saturday night and charged Williams’ his murder.
The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that Johnson is the son of one of their deputies.
Cartledge, 10, ran with an American flag in his hand. The flag will be give to Williams’ family.
For over a year, Cartledge has run miles for fallen heroes across the country in “Running 4 Heroes,” where he runs one mile for each officer killed during 2018 and 2019.
On Tuesday morning, Cartledge is scheduled to appear on “Strahan, Sara and Keke” on ABC.
- 18K+ votes cast in three Northwest Florida counties on first day of early voting
- Walmart’s ad scans released ahead of Black Friday events
- Need a break from the pandemic? There’s a snow park coming to Florida
- Texas woman dies of COVID-19 while on commercial flight
- Florida man accidentally shot, killed twin while they played with guns, police say