Pelicans forward Zion Williamson’s on-court performance this season was elevating him into the conversation for 2019-20 Rookie of the Year. Regardless of whether or not the 19-year-old ends up capturing that award, on Tuesday he was honored in a creative, much different manner: New Orleans’ Audubon Zoo chose to name one of its African penguin chicks “Zion,” in recognition of Williamson’s contributions to the Crescent City.
As the zoo explained of its decision, which acknowledged Williamson’s recent vow to financially support Smoothie King Center staff and employees, “in this time of uncertainty, Zion embraced the New Orleans community with a truly remarkable act of generosity after the NBA season was halted.”
(Story via the New Orleans Pelicans)
- ECSO: Five people arrested in Escambia County for fraudulent CARES act scheme
- Mnuchin and Powell talk to Congress about pandemic for 2nd consecutive day
- BIKER DAD: Teen biker caught on camera in blistering police chase
- Man reaches through open window, grabs sleeping 14-year-old in North Carolina
- People magazine reveals its ‘2020 People of the Year’