Pelicans forward Zion Williamson’s on-court performance this season was elevating him into the conversation for 2019-20 Rookie of the Year. Regardless of whether or not the 19-year-old ends up capturing that award, on Tuesday he was honored in a creative, much different manner: New Orleans’ Audubon Zoo chose to name one of its African penguin chicks “Zion,” in recognition of Williamson’s contributions to the Crescent City.
As the zoo explained of its decision, which acknowledged Williamson’s recent vow to financially support Smoothie King Center staff and employees, “in this time of uncertainty, Zion embraced the New Orleans community with a truly remarkable act of generosity after the NBA season was halted.”
(Story via the New Orleans Pelicans)
- Coupons ‘in every crevice’: FBI shares more about Virginia Beach woman’s $31 million-plus coupon scheme
- Video shows Tom Hanks ‘crashing’ couple’s wedding in Santa Monica
- Red tide present at beaches in Destin, Fort Walton Beach
- Police remind residents to lock doors after bizarre incident at Summerdale home
- Deputies find live grenade in man’s pickup truck during Florida traffic stop