DESTIN, Fla. (WKRG) — (UPDATE 6/23): The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office has identified the man in Monday’s drowning near Crab Island as 58-year old Rama Kannan of New York. He was visiting.
ORIGINAL STORY: The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office has reported the second drowning in three days near Destin.
The OCSO says a second drowning happened Monday afternoon at about 1:09 p.m off the east side of Crab Island near Destin.
A 29-year old Mississippi man drowned Saturday near Destin’s west jetties after he also began struggling in an outgoing tide, the sheriff’s office says.
The OCSO Marine Unit urges beachgoers to watch out for the drop offs adjacent to Crab Island, where water “goes from shallow to overhead quickly,” a media release said. Currents during outgoing tides can be strong.
- Richmond ‘porch pirate’ dressed as Amazon employee
- Couple holds wedding ceremony outside Richmond living facility for grandmother to see
- Mysterious Utah Monolith disappears
- WEATHER AWARE: Widespread rain, a few strong storms possible
- Man attacking ex-girlfriend in South Pasadena home beaten, stabbed to death by victim’s mother and sister: LASD