SANTA ROSA COUNTY, Fla. (WKRG) — A Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office K-9 was hit by a car while attempting to take down a suspect.
According to the sheriffs’ office, deputies, including the SRSO K-9 Unit was dispatched to 5285 Bayou Drive in Milton around 4:30 p.m. for a report of a battery.
When they arrived on scene, the suspect refused to comply with deputies and after several attempts to take the suspect into custody, deputies deployed the K-9. K-9 Orkon exited the vehicle using an auto-door feature. But once leaving the vehicle, K-9 Orkon was hit by another vehicle.
K-9 Orkon was taken to the veterinarian where he was cleared with a minor rash-type injury, the sheriff’s office reports. He was in good spirits when he left the vet. K-9 Orkon will be placed on light duty for a few days and is expected to fully recover.
The sheriff’s office says the suspect, Eric Mayhug, led deputies on a foot chase. He was captured and taken to Santa Rosa County Jail.
The incident involving the K-9 is being investigated, but is believed to be accidental, the sheriff’s office reports.
- ‘Cause once you’re dead that’s a bit too late’: Dolly Parton gets vaccine, rewrites lyrics to a popular song
- Daphne mayor encouraged by decreasing Covid numbers
- FBI director warns of increasing threat of white extremists
- South Carolina fire department loses 2 first responders to motorcycle crashes in just days
- Mobile Baykeeper working to make Mardi Gras more environmentally friendly