ESCAMBIA COUNTY, Fla. (WKRG) — A man fell asleep at the wheel and managed to drive his SUV through the roof of a home Sunday morning. The homeowner was asleep in a nearby room.
According to Florida Highway Patrol, 21-year-old Demarcus Atkins was driving southwest of Fairfield Drive near Atlas Street when he fell asleep driving through a sharp left curve. The SUV ran off the road, accelerated into a ditch, collided into an embankment, became airborne and crashed into a home on 1401 Atlas Street. The SUV went through the roof.
FHP said the homeowner was asleep at the time but was not hurt. Atkins, the driver, was also not injured. He will be charged with failure to maintain a lane.
- Grab fair foods this June with Drive-in option from Greater Gulf State Fair
- Two men charged with homicide by vehicle in crash that killed Theodore H.S. senior
- Alabama Power: More than 6K Mobile County customers currently without power
- LIVE UPDATES: 50/50 chance weather will cooperate for historic crewed SpaceX launch
- Now is the time to shop with unused gift cards — before it’s too late