PENSACOLA, Fla. (WKRG) —
UPDATE (4:00 p.m.) — Pensacola Police say the person who was in the kayak has been located and is safe.
Police say the man was out in his kayak Thursday morning and fell into the water. He swam to shore and had to go to work, so he left the kayak.
Police say the man left his phone inside the kayak and had no way to call anyone. When he got off work, he saw it on the news online and called Pensacola Police to let them know he was okay.
UPDATE (2:45 p.m.) — The United States Coast Guard has joined in the search for a possible person in the water after an abandoned kayak was found near Bayou Chico Pensacola.
The Coast Guard says there are no reports of missing people in relation to the kayak.
Involved in the search are:
- A 29-foot Special Purpose Craft boatcrew from Coast Guard Station Pensacola
- An MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans
- Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Pensacola Police Department
- A fireboat crew from Pensacola Fire Department.
Anyone with information regarding the kayak is requested to contact the Coast Guard Sector Mobile command center at 251-441-5976.
ORIGINAL STORY: Pensacola Police are searching for the owner of an abandoned kayak found Thursday near Bayou Chico.
It was discovered around 7:30 am with fishing equipment on board.
If you have any information of who the owner of the kayak is, please contact Pensacola Police.
This story is developing.
- College football bringing a sense of normalcy to downtown Mobile
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG
- VIDEOS: ALGO Mobile reports vehicle fire on I-10 EB
- Mobile Police confirms crash on Schillinger Road, one life-flighted
- MPD: Drive-by shooting on Carstens Street lands one suspected shooter in hospital