OKALOOSA COUNTY, Fla. (WKRG) — UPDATE: (1/26/2023) — The Commander for the 1st Special Operations Wing at Hurlburt Field confirmed the biker in the school bus crash on HWY 98 west of Hurlburt Field was a special forces airman.

The wing is working to notify the next of kin and will release more information once it is available.

The commander issued a statement about the airmen on social media.

“Air Commandos, tonight we unfortunately lost one of our AFSOC Airmen as a result of a fatal vehicle accident on Highway 98.

I know this will have a significant impact to all our teammates and families throughout our community. This type of news is never easy to digest, and never easy to accept. Please lean on each other during this time of grieving and use our resources ….Chaplain, first sergeants, Military OneSource, MFLACs and other helping agencies are here to help us process this tragedy.

I ask that you please respect the privacy of the member and family by not disclosing their identities as next-of-kin notifications are taking place.

Our community stands ready to support all of you.”

Col. Allison Black

WKRG News 5 is working to get more information on the two students taken to the hospital after the crash.

ORIGINAL STORY: (1/25/2023) — One man died and two students were hospitalized after a school bus crashed into a motorcyclist on Highway 98 Wednesday afternoon, according to a release from the Florida Highway Patrol.

The crash happened at around 2:26 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 25 on State Road 30 at Ave De La Fontaine Bleu off Highway 98 in Okaloosa County.

According to the release, the 28-year-old man of Navarre was on his motorcycle traveling west on Highway 98 in the inside travel lane. An Okaloosa County School Bus was stopped facing south on Ave De La Fontaine Bleu at a stop sign for the intersection of Highway 98.

According to the release, the bus drove into the intersection and into the path of the motorcycle. The motorcycle collided into the left side of the school bus.

There were five children on the bus and two were transported to local hospitals for treatment.