OKALOOSA COUNTY, Fla. (WKRG) — (Unedited press release from the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office)
A Valparaiso woman who worked for a local law firm approximately ten years has been arrested on charges she stole more than $700,000 from her former employer.
The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office arrested 51-year-old Janice Porter on September 23rd for Fraud – more than $50,000 as well as three counts of Money Laundering.
Investigators say the thefts took place between May 2013 and March 2020.
The victim told the OCSO Porter had been entrusted to administer the law firm’s financial operating
account and all credit card accounts.
A forensic audit revealed a vast scheme by Porter to defraud the firm over a seven year timeframe
involving unauthorized payroll distributions, bank disbursements, credit card charges, and
disbursements, and totaling $730,356.19.
Porter admitted hiding the thefts until the amount because so large she could no longer conceal it.
- Americans sweet on chocolate, baked goods during pandemic, study finds
- Second stimulus checks: Pelosi still hoping to strike deal before election
- Dak Prescott signed a football for a sick Texas teen, now she’s returning the ‘faith’
- Tropical Storm Zeta forecast to intensify into hurricane as it enters Gulf
- Police searching for missing Indiana children who may be in Montgomery area