JUNO BEACH. Fla. (WKRG) — Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed multiple bills Tuesday at the Loggerhead Marinelife Center in Juno Beach.
The 2020 legislative session allocates $625 million to projects aimed to improve the everglades and water resources.
Bills passed Tuesday include one to help with a nutrient pollution database to track all sources of water. Another focuses on increasing penalties for environmental crimes to create a deterrent from pollution.
A big piece of legislature is the Clean Waterways Act. To watch the full explanation of the act at the signing ceremony, watch the video below.
Gov. DeSantis says this is a big victory in passing the state budget. in 2019, Florida passed around $680 million in water restoration projects.
First Lady Casey DeSantis and Department of Environmental Protection Secretary Noah Valenstein were also in attendance.
- Have the umbrellas ready to go with higher rain chances through the end of the week
- A friendship to remember: A failed cattle dog and a downed calf won’t leave each other’s side
- The pyramids re-open to visitors
- Rescued sea turtles released
- Ducklings get a helping hand from police