PENSACOLA, Fla. (WKRG) — Escambia County is issuing a burn ban after dry conditions have fueled multiple wildfires in Northwest Florida within the last week.
The burn ban is effective immediately and will remain in effect until further notice.
The ban comes after the Hurst Hammock Road fire in West Pensacola burned more than 1,000 acres, while the Five Mile Swamp Fire in Santa Rosa County burned more than 2,200 acres and destroyed 14 homes. Both fires are now 95% contained, according to the Florida Forest Service.
More details are expected to be released.
Okaloosa County has also issued a burn ban.
- Scattered showers and storms this morning, drier Sunday ahead
- Trump supporters plan another boat parade Saturday
- Rain chances remain elevated Saturday, Put away the umbrellas for Sunday
- Oldest living American celebrates her 116th birthday
- Florida schools should not shut down if someone gets COVID-19, Gov. DeSantis says