PENSACOLA, Fla. (WKRG) — A Pensacola man was arrested Monday after deputies say he tried to steal two steaks from Grocery Advantage, before eventually going into cardiac arrest.
Rodney Clinton Smith, 52, was charged with robbery and other charges after deputies say he entered Grocery Advantage off Lillian Highway in Pensacola and smuggled two steaks under his clothing. He also attempted to steal a tomato and a pair of pliers, his arrest report said.
When the store’s owner confronted Smith, deputies say Smith dragged him by his shirt outside of the business. They fought, and eventually, Smith’s head hit the ground and began bleeding heavily, the report said.
Deputies say when they arrived, Smith did not have a pulse but he was eventually resuscitated. Deputies would later find a small bag of meth near Smith, so he was also charged with drug possession.
Smith is being held on a $20,000 bond.
- Republicans, Democrats disagree on how to address police reforms
- Alabama Sheriff calls cross burner coward; says his community is united and safe
- ‘It’s a start, but we still have a long way to go,’ people react to the city’s temporary removal of Admiral Semmes statue
- We are 24 hours away from the first effects being felt of Tropical Storm Cristobal
- Pensacola man wins $2 million in Florida lottery