PENSACOLA, Fla. (WKRG) — Police have made an arrest in the death investigation of 7-year-old Aniyah Nettles.
Pensacola Police say they have arrested 19-year-old Corie Lamon Thompson and charged him with culpable negligence.
“He allowed a minor child to gain access to a firearm which resulted in the death of a minor child,” wrote Public Information Officer Mike Wood in a text message.
Wood told WKRG News 5 Thompson fell asleep at a home on ‘B’ Street in Pensacola. His gun was left on the ground near the bed.
Police say a 5-year-old child picked up the gun Aug. 1, took the gun outside, started playing with it and shot Nettles.
Thompson was arrested on a warrant at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday without incident.
This is a developing story.
- Jimmy Buffett inducted into the Mississippi Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Thyroid medications recalled across US, at least 4 people reported problems
- Zendaya becomes youngest lead drama actress to win Emmy
- Pressure mounts on GOP senators over filling Ginsburg seat
- Tropical Storm Beta forecast to make landfall Monday