MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Mobile County Commissioner Jerry Carl won the Republican primary runoff for Alabama’s 1st Congressional District. Carl defeated former state Senator Bill Hightower with 52.3% of the vote.
Carl will face the winner of the Democratic primary, James Averhart, who defeated Kiani Gardner with 56.7% on Tuesday.
Carl has a considerable edge headed into November’s election. More than 84,700 votes were cast in the GOP runoff, compared to 27,783 votes in the Democratic primary.
- Sweet potato could become Alabama’s official state vegetable
- UPDATE: Missing child alert canceled for one-year-old Florida girl
- Weather Aware: Isolated Severe Storms and Flash Flooding Possible This Morning
- I-10 reopens following fatal crash in Pensacola
- Video: Driver smashes through traffic arm, jumps Florida drawbridge