MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Mobile County Commissioner Jerry Carl won the Republican primary runoff for Alabama’s 1st Congressional District. Carl defeated former state Senator Bill Hightower with 52.3% of the vote.
Carl will face the winner of the Democratic primary, James Averhart, who defeated Kiani Gardner with 56.7% on Tuesday.
Carl has a considerable edge headed into November’s election. More than 84,700 votes were cast in the GOP runoff, compared to 27,783 votes in the Democratic primary.
- Coastal showers, warm afternoon ahead
- USA Move-in week begins Saturday with appointments, health screenings
- Steamy temperatures for the weekend, Rain chances slowly rising
- Falwell, Jr. to take indefinite leave of absence, effective immediately, at request of L.U.’s Board of Trustees
- Florida hospital loses body of newborn baby, lawsuit says