BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) — Family, friends and many people from the community will come together to remember the life of 8-year-old Royta Giles Jr.
Royta was a student at Jonesboro Elementary School, who the assistant principal says was a “bright, charismatic second-grader who had the ‘it’ factor and wanted to grow up and someday be a musician.”
There is now a makeshift memorial at the Riverchase Galleria in front of the Children’s Place where there are even musical notes on display in honor of him.
Authorities say that three men have been arrested in connection to the tragic incident where Royta lost his life and three others were injured.
The vigil is taking place at the Bessemer Recreation Center.
- Bars and nightclubs in Tijuana demand permission to reopen
- Report: More women and Americans becoming crime victims in Mexico
- Alabama League of Municipalities call for changes to monuments law
- Twin YouTube stars charged after Uber driver held at gunpoint during fake bank robbery
- Bipartisan push in Congress looks to replace Confederate statue in Washington with one of John Lewis