CALIFORNIA (CNN) — A quick-thinking off-duty officer helped save a 24-year-old California hiker who was trapped in a whirlpool on Saturday.
The hiker was trying to cross Angel Falls when he became trapped in the fast-moving spring water.
Off-duty officer Brent Donley – who was hiking nearby — used a strap from his backpack and tied it around a branch so the hiker could grab it.
He then threw the branch to the man and talked him through the rescue.
Angel falls is a main attraction for hikers along Willow Creek Trail – which has been deemed dangerous due to the slippery rocks along the path.
- Escambia County, FL schools reopen for first time following Sally landfall
- Mobile ranks high for focus on single family homes
- Tree crushes man’s two cars in Semmes
- Reese’s launches big cups with pretzels because ‘we’re all feeling a little bit salty’ in 2020
- FBI seeks more potential victims in ‘Cheer’ star Jerry Harris child porn case