TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (WIAT) — The University of Alabama has renamed another building on its campus that bore the name of a controversial figure.
Manly Hall, the home of the school’s department of religious studies and department of gender and race studies, will now be known as President’s Hall, according to Shane Dorrill with the university.
The building was named after UA’s second president, Basil Manly, who served the role from 1837-1855. He was an evangelist who also supported the south’ secession from the Union and also slavery. He served as the Confederate government’s first chaplain as well.
The change was approved by the school’s board of trustees. You can read the full amendment below:
- Marshall hires Alabama assistant Huff as football coach
- Hoosier metal guitarist seen in famous photo arrested in connection with Capitol riot
- Chilly tonight, warming trend ahead
- Dancing trucker turns up at inauguration protest to promote peace
- BIKER DAD: Florida police looking for road-raging bikers who beat driver with wrench, helmets