AUSTINTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – A man with a decades-long record of committing burglaries in Northeast Ohio and Texas was picked up Tuesday night in Austintown during a traffic stop.
Kermit Gabel, 88, was pulled over on Mahoning Avenue for not having a taillight.
Police said he was driving a pickup truck with Arizona plates and registered to U-Haul Storage of Austintown.
Police discovered that Gabel had a warrant for his arrest in connection to a parole violation out of Texas.
According to media reports out of Cleveland, Gabel was named the “Silver Burglar,” accused of breaking into homes in Cuyahoga County in the 70s and early 90s, stealing furs, jewels and other items in the Shaker Heights area and other communities.
Gabel was most recently arrested in Smith County Texas on a theft charge.
Gabel is in the Mahoning County Jail awaiting extradition to Texas.
- Destin hosting 2020 outdoor decorating contest
- Florida librarian dies weeks after teens ran her over with vehicle, deputies say
- Baldwin County Superintendant Tyler releases letter to parents on COVID plan
- Shelters prepare for cold weather during COVID-19 pandemic
- MPD: Man injured after person fires shotgun at his vehicle