TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A 10-year-old boy hid in a bathroom and called police while his family members were beaten to death with a baseball bat after someone tried to steal their car in Windermere, Orlando news station WKMG reported.
Police said two men were killed and a woman was seriously injured at a home on Sunbittern Court in the Lake Crescent Reserve community of Windermere.
The suspect, Ezekiel Emanuel Hopkins, entered the gated community by ramming the gates with his car. He tried to steal a car that was parked outside of the home when he was confronted by the homeowners, John and Lisa Savey, police said.
According to police, Hopkins started beating John Savey with a baseball bat, then went inside and started beating Lisa Savey and their son, James.
James and John Savey were killed, and Lisa Savey was hospitalized with serious injuries, according to the report.
Police said a 10-year-old boy who lives at the home had called 911 to report the incident and hid in the bathroom while he talked to dispatchers.
Officers from multiple agencies arrived at the home and found Hopkins unresponsive in another bathroom after he apparently drank some bleach. He was taken to an area hospital.
The boy was not hurt.
Police say Hopkins is facing two counts of murder and a charge of aggravated battery.
- Hot Pockets recalled because they may contain pieces of plastic, glass
- Trump administration carries out 13th and final execution
- Woman killed in Friday night crash in Escambia County, Florida
- Motorcycle memorial must go, Texas family fights HOA after loved-one’s death
- Practice Report: Three Saints Questionable for Divisional Round