Mobile Fire-Rescue investigators believe a fire started from a transformer explosion near a construction site causing portions of downtown Mobile to lose power.

The fire started around 2:19 a.m. Monday morning in the 100 block of Dauphin Street. 

Crews on scene successfully extinguished flames and were able to remove large portions of smoldering material to prevent the fire from reigniting. 

No one was injured during the incident. 

According to a press release from Mobile Fire-Rescue, “Alabama Power, electricity to portions of downtown Mobile will need to be cut in order to repair the overall problem. No word on the approximate area or estimated time for repair has been given.”