NEW YORK (AP) — The man accused of setting of a pressure cooker bomb in New York City that injured 30 people last year interrupted the start of his trial because he wanted to speak with the judge about being unable to see his wife.
Ahmad Khan Rahimi was removed from court Monday at the start of his trial after he stood up and spoke. Prosecutors continued their opening statement without him in the room.
He later was brought back, and he apologized for the interruption. He says the government is wrongly keeping his wife from coming to visit him at the jail where he is being held, and he asked U.S. District Court Judge Richard Berman for help.
Berman says he’ll look into it, and the case proceeded with Rahimi in the courtroom.
While Ahmad Khan Rahimi has not been charged with terrorism, federal lawyers say it influenced his plans. He has been charged with detonating a pipe bomb along a charity race in Seaside Park, New Jersey, and planting two pressure cooker bombs in Manhattan on Sept. 17, 2016.
One device did not explode. The other one detonated in Chelsea.
Rahimi was shot by law enforcement during his arrest two days after the attacks. He has pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail.
Defense lawyers have argued the government is trying to wrongly paint a picture of the Afghanistan-born U.S. citizen as an extremist.