PENSACOLA, Fla. (WKRG) — Most people in Northwest Florida and state leaders spoke out against the rioting in Washington D.C. Wednesday but one local commissioner showed his support for it.
About an hour after the rioting started, newly elected Santa Rosa County Commissioner James Calkins posted to Facebook saying “Proud of our patriots. Stop the Steal.” He received quite a bit of support from constituents on the post.
Most people didn’t feel the way Calkins did.
“The violence…it boggles my mind,” Brent Gill said.
Gill said it was a fair and secure election and said the rioters need to accept it.
“They’re shocked and concerned that their voices are all of a sudden the minority while they’re advocating violence,” Gill said.
Kim Frasier said it’s a sad day for America.
“It’s scary, actually,” Frasier said. “It’s pretty frightening to think there’s that much anger and hostility.”
Elected officials took to social media. Below are tweets from Senators Rick Scott and Marco Rubio and Congressman Matt Gaetz.
- Rocket engine test set for Saturday at Stennis Space Center
- Mass vaccination at Mobile Cruise Terminal still open for 75+ and first responders
- Biden introduces key members of science team, including pioneering geneticist Eric Lander
- Brewton PD looking for suspect in theft from a vehicle
- Mobile County Health Department hosting vaccine event at historic church on MLK Day