LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — The governor of Nigeria’s Kaduna state has signed a law saying men convicted of rape will face surgical castration, and anyone raping a child under age 14 will face the death penalty.
Gov. Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai says the “drastic penalties are required to help further protect children from a serious crime.”
Reported cases of rape in Nigeria have risen dramatically during the months of coronavirus restrictions, and women’s groups have called for tougher measures, including the death penalty.
Kaduna’s new measures are the strictest in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country.
- Five region one titles clinched heading into final week of regular season
- Want to play Pac-Man in the real world? You need a Caterpillar vehicle for this wild Illinois maze
- Sportsbooks call audibles due to COVID-19 in NFL
- Clearing skies, muggy afternoon
- Biden campaign launches ‘TrumpCovidPlan.com’ — a site that reads ‘Not Found’