MONROE COUNTY, Fla. (KRON) - Only in Florida!
A Florida fisherman reeled in quite a catch over the weekend!
The fisherman, who had just returned from Islamorada in the Florida Keys, spotted the huge bale containing 40 pounds of suspected cocaine that washed up under a dock, according to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.
The unidentified man used a gaff to pull the package onto shore where he cut it open to discover it was full of white powder.
He then called the Coast Guard, authorities say.
Officials say the bale was comprised of 25 smaller bricks filled with what they suspected to be cocaine, which were also wrapped in clear plastic.
The bale was turned over to federal officials.
Authorities have yet to determine where the suspected cocaine originated.
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Florida agriculture commissioner orders LGBT protections
- Belmont-DeVilliers historic district gets Mississippi Blues Marker
- Drexel on the Road: Ukulele senior jam sessions
- UPDATE: Workman Middle School lockdown lifted