COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina mother who skipped the trial where she was convicted of homicide by child abuse for throwing two of her newborns in trash bags will spend 40 years in prison.
Alyssa Dayvault’s sentence was handed down Thursday. She turned herself in the day after her trial ended.
The 32-year-old mother hid her pregnancies in 2017 and 2018 from everyone, including her boyfriend and her mother.
She gave birth at her North Myrtle Beach home alone then moments later, put the newborns into trash bags and threw them away.
Dayvault cried and apologized to her family, saying she never meant to harm anyone and that she made a horrible mistake.
- City of Saraland cancels Christmas Parade
- ‘This will be my first Christmas as an official mom:’ Families hope to encourage others across the Gulf Coast to adopt a child
- Border Democrats vow to hold Biden accountable on his pledge to not build ‘another foot of wall’
- It’s not December yet, but Elf on the Shelf 2020 is already very different
- Mobile native, former NFL player Darius Philon holds turkey giveaway