COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina mother who skipped the trial where she was convicted of homicide by child abuse for throwing two of her newborns in trash bags will spend 40 years in prison.
Alyssa Dayvault’s sentence was handed down Thursday. She turned herself in the day after her trial ended.
The 32-year-old mother hid her pregnancies in 2017 and 2018 from everyone, including her boyfriend and her mother.
She gave birth at her North Myrtle Beach home alone then moments later, put the newborns into trash bags and threw them away.
Dayvault cried and apologized to her family, saying she never meant to harm anyone and that she made a horrible mistake.
- High humidity with afternoon thunderstorms
- Jim Zeigler exploring run for Alabama Governor
- Tropical Storm Claudette brought heavy rain to Carolinas, heading offshore
- ‘I didn’t know if we were going to make it:’ East Brewton residents recall braving the EF2 tornado from Claudette
- ALEA: 10 dead, including nine children, in I-65 crash near Greenville; youngest victim 9 months old