COBB COUNTY, Ga. (WKRG) — A Mobile woman was arrested Monday for allegedly strangling her 5-year-old daughter to death in Georgia.
Cobb County Police Department’s Crimes Against Persons Unit responded to an apartment at 2328 Hidden Glen Drive in Marietta on Tuesday to check on the unresponsive 5-year-old girl.
Officers found the girl with bruises all over her body and other visible injuries. The criminal warrant says the little girl also had neck injuries from being strangled.
The child was transported to Kennestone Hospital, where she was pronounced deceased. The child’s mother, 30-year-old Shekina Akbar, has since been charged in this case. Akbar had recently moved to Marietta from Mobile.
Akbar is charged with felony murder, first-degree cruelty to children and aggravated assault – strangulation. She is being held without bond.
This incident continues to be investigated and anyone with information is asked to contact detectives at 770-499-3945.
- BIKER DAD: FHP says biker was killed by red light runner in BMW
- Michigan teen who bathed in Wendy’s sink tells story
- Joy of Life, Floral Parade, Knights of Mobile 2020 parades
- Woman believes cold case suspect abducted her in 1989
- 2 people arrested and charged in connection with the disappearance of 15-month-old from Tennessee