TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – MacDill Air Force Base was temporarily placed on lockdown Friday morning while authorities investigated unfounded reports of an armed person nearby.
People on the base received an alert regarding the lockdown around 7 a.m. Friday. MacDill officials later said the lockdown had been lifted.
According to police in St. Petersburg, a 54-year-old man had reportedly armed himself with a gun and went to the apartment of his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend on Gandy Boulevard, and vandalized their door and a vehicle. Police said they got word he may be near the base, but the man was found in Hernando County.
He is now in the custody of the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office.
Further information was not immediately available.
- FHP: 65-year-old man dies after being struck by SUV on Davis Highway
- Salon trucks bill on its way to Alabama Senate
- Residents hope to stop landfill expansion in Axis
- Lady Gaga’s French bulldogs found safe; dog walker expected to recover
- VIDEO: Fight breaks out during Vigor-Anniston semi-final basketball game