Unedited press release from U.S. Coast Guard 8th District Heartland
NEW ORLEANS — The Coast Guard has closed the Mississippi River between mile markers 115 and 122 after a vessel allided with the Hale Memorial Boggs Bridge, Sunday.
Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector New Orleans received a report at approximately 1:30 a.m. that the ITV Cooperative Spirit, pushing 29 grain barges downriver, allided with the bridge.
No injuries, pollution or damage to the bridge was reported.
Of the 29 barges, 26 have been recovered, two have sunk, and one is still unaccounted for while inspectors search the area.
The cause of the allision is under investigation.
- Cooler air sliding into the region, Temps running well below normal
- Woman charged with DUI manslaughter for deadly head-on crash
- Floridians react to the lifting of state coronavirus restrictions
- House holds hearing on Paycheck Protection Program loan forgiveness
- Stimulus check, $600-per-week jobless benefit included in new virus aid proposal