FAIRHOPE, Ala. (WKRG) - A man accused of attacking two people with a baseball bat appeared in a Baldwin County court Wednesday afternoon. Ledarrius Sigler is also accused of kidnapping his ex-girlfriend and a young child.
Sigler was taken into custody after an extended vehicle and foot chase Tuesday, September 11, 2018. He's charged with kidnapping and assault.
In court, prosecutors outlined their case. They say Sigler broke into his ex-girlfriends home. They say he beat his ex-girlfriend's uncle with a baseball bat. He is still in ICU.
They accuse Sigler of then kidnapping his ex-girlfriend and a young child, and beating his ex-girlfriend with a baseball bat.
"The child was carried along throughout the process and was exposed to the whole entirety of the event," said Major Anthony Lowery with the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office.
During his hearing, Sigler defended himself to the judge, saying that he was assaulted and he didn’t assault anyone.
Sources tell News 5 they were surprised this wasn’t a double homicide because of the extent of the victims’ injuries.
"You've seen people get hit in the head with far less than a baseball bat and die. This was still very serious," said Lowery.
Sigler remains in jail on a $185,000 bond.
Baldwin SRO saves two children
Woman found dead off Fort Morgan
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Witnesses take the stand in Mary Rice trial
- BREAKING: Driver killed while fleeing police
- Opening arguments Tuesday in trial of Mary Rice
- UPDATE: Opening statements begin Tuesday for woman accused in deadly multi-state crime spree