(CNN) – American firefighters got a warm heroes’ welcome as they arrived in Sydney this week.
Australians gave a lengthy round of applause as they came through the arrival gate at the city’s airport.
Shane Fitzsimmons, commissioner of the New South Wales Rural Fire Service, says the applause at the airport reflects the gratitude and admiration all Australians have for the Americans’ generosity and assistance.
In many ways, the American firefighters are returning the favor.
Australia has been sending firefighters to the United States for more than 15 years. The most recent example was in August 2018, when 138 arrived.
The last time US firefighters worked in Australia was 2010.
- 5 Things To Do This Weekend! March 5-7
- Police: 2 Florida bikers killed when SUV turns in front of speeding motorcycle
- Volcano view from the back of a motorcycle
- Third-degree murder count against ex-officer in Floyd death could be reinstated
- Breast milk of vaccinated mothers may protect babies from COVID-19, study suggests