Senior defensive lineman Emmanuel Duron of Edinburg High School came running from the sideline area after the referee announced the ejection, slamming into the official during the first half of the zone play-in game against Pharr-San Juan-Alamo.
Duron was escorted from the stadium by police officers.
The Monitor of McAllen reported the referee was evaluated for a concussion by medical personnel at the stadium.
The game resumed after a delay, with Edinburg winning 35-21 to advance to the playoffs.
The District 31-6A Defensive Player of the Year last season, Duron also is the Bobcats’ kicker and punter and a star wrestler.
- World’s highest motorcycle museum, hundreds of rare bikes go up in flames
- Hopes and fears of locals under Biden administration
- Now that Biden is president, here’s when you could get that $1,400 stimulus check
- Community support needed to complete special needs park in Summerdale
- Michigan parents denied legal rights to their babies due to outdated law