PHILADELPHIA (AP) – A Philadelphia man says he carried his mother down 10 flights of stairs to escape an overnight fire at a senior living facility.
Officials say one person was treated at the scene after a fire broke out on the fourth floor of the Brith Sholom House in Wynnefield Heights early Saturday.
Caregiver Shawn Smith tells WPVI-TV that started smelling smoke on the 10th floor hallway following the 1:40 a.m. fire.
Smith says he put his mother on his shoulder and carried her all the way down to escape.
Fire officials say they had the fire under control in about 20 minutes.
- New Orleans Police: 2 officers ‘ambushed’ in French Quarter
- Birmingham bar owner to close business on election day, staff to serve as poll workers
- ‘Reject hate and division,’ Democratic VP nominee tells South Texas border rally
- Judge orders 11-year-old boy behind bars to await trial for allegedly killing 6-year-old neighbor
- Scary good resale value: Sold-out 12′ Home Depot skeleton is reselling for more than $1,500