The 14th Judicial District Attorney’s Office said Tuesday that John Saldate, 59, and Amber Saldate, 33, have each been charged with one count of animal cruelty.
The Grand County Sheriff’s Office said the incident was recorded on video and shared on social media, which resulted in several public requests for an investigation.
The DA’s office says the horse has been seized by law enforcement and is now safe. The Saldates are scheduled to appear in court in Hot Sulphur Springs in late January.
DA Matt Krazen said his office has received significant inquiries from people regarding the incident.
“Because these events are now the subject of an active prosecution, our ethical obligations prohibit us from discussing it, but interested persons can attend the public court proceedings if they choose,” he said in a statement.
- North Mobile County License Commission, Revenue Commission offices to be closed due to power outages
- US economy notches record growth in third quarter but recovery incomplete
- Trump meets with rap star Lil Wayne in Florida
- Netflix raises subscription prices
- No substantial erosion reported yet at Baldwin beaches following Hurricane Zeta