BUTLER TOWNSHIP, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) – Beekeepers were called in to assist with nearly a million honey bees scattered on Interstate 81 southbound after a vehicle crash Friday night.
It happened just before 5:30 p.m. near mile marker 149 and shut down both southbound lanes on the interstate.
According to crews on the scene, roughly one-million honey bees were being hauled in boxes on a flat bed truck as the driver lost control of the vehicle.
No injuries were reported, but a firefighter suffered a bee sting on the lip.
Crews, including beekeepers, are currently working to remove the bees from the roadway.
The road is closed from Exit 151 B (I-80 W) to Exit 145 (W. Hazleton).
According to the Luzerne County 911 Communications Center, police are directing traffic to Route 93.
This is a developing story. Eyewitness News will provide more information as it becomes available.
- CDC redefines COVID-19 close contact, adds brief encounters
- McConnell on GOP’s COVID stimulus bill: Some relief is better than none at all
- Second stimulus checks: No relief deal until after election, report suggests
- BIKER DAD: Riders escort soldier back to his hometown 7 decades after he went MIA in Korea
- Senate Republicans ramp up support for Barrett confirmation ahead of first vote